It is part of the human condition that the vast majority are willfully and spectacularly disconnected from reality on major issues.
One such issue, even in modern, educated, first world countries like The United States:
We encourage overpopulation with tax, employment, insurance, and social benefits.
Despite mass smog, climate change, annihilatory patriotism, numerous consequential and intentional radiation releases, and only 21% of USA rivers ‘in good condition’, we:
- Extend an annual benefit on federal taxes for each dependent child.
- Require many private employers give three months unpaid leave for births.
- Have numerous companies granting paid maternity leave. Even paid paternity leave.
- Pay health insurance benefits for pregnancies and birthing.
- Rarely show open disapproval against individual pregnancies for overpopulating.
- Affirm individual pregnancies as our social standard. “Congratulations!”
- Largely ignore groups and individuals who raise the alarm.
- Mandate property taxes to educate others’ children.
- Witness media, politicians, and advertisers habitually extol the virtues of overpopulation using emotional music, images, and code words like baby, parent, and family. They soothe with confirmation bias to extract our support.
- Unanimously go along with political structures that prescribe such incentives.
Just one result of overpopulation is the estimate that we inject eight million pieces of garbage into our seas. Each and every day.
In light of such hyper-massive – and increasing – environmental damage:
Why is the call for removal of such benefits so rare that almost no one on Earth has heard of any entity that pointedly does so?
Or knows anyone who also proposes that we reverse, and impose an eco-tax for each birth?
Rather horrifying global ignorance.